-   -   need help quickly!! (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/74341-need-help-quickly.html)

alexm999

need help quickly!!

I have a spreadsheet that has in column I a state abreviation. (NE, MA,
etc...). In column G I have a number of subscribers. I'd like a report
formula that adds up all the numbers associated with a specific state.

I'm doing it manually now and it's a pain! help!

--
alexm999
alexm999's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=4918

need help quickly!!

Hi

I would suggest using Data / Pivot Table as this is designed to summarise
information.
There is an intro to using this powerful tool he
http://peltiertech.com/Excel/Pivots/pivottables.htm

Hope this helps.
Andy.

"alexm999" wrote in
message ...

I have a spreadsheet that has in column I a state abreviation. (NE, MA,
etc...). In column G I have a number of subscribers. I'd like a report
formula that adds up all the numbers associated with a specific state.

I'm doing it manually now and it's a pain! help!

--
alexm999
alexm999's Profile:
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517306

SteveG

need help quickly!!

You can use SUMPRODUCT.

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100="MA")*(B1:B100))

Where A is your list of abbreviations and B are your numbers to sum.
Rather than type the abbreviation in the formula, you could have a drop
down list with all state abbreviations and have your formula refer to
that cell say C1. Then you could just select a state abbreviation from
the list and the formula would return the value for that abbreviation.

=SUMPRODUCT((A1:A100=C1)*(B1:B100))

Does that help,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

davesexcel

need help quickly!!

=SUMIF(A1:B5,C1,B1:B5)
A1:B5 is the range
C1 is the Crieteria
B1:B5 adds up the numbers that meet the criteria

--
davesexcel
davesexcel's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31708