-   -   =IF cell needs to show blank if blank (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/74207-%3Dif-cell-needs-show-blank-if-blank.html)

Boethius1

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

Hi

Don't know how to explain, but formulae is as follows:

If a number ref matches in the first sheet within cell N8 then from
sheet 1 whatever is in cell I8 should pull through to I8 in sheet2.

This is the formulae in sheet 2 cell I8

=IF([cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8=2,[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!$I8)

I8 has to show dates, so the cell format is dd/mm

However when the date in sheet 1 is blanked out, in sheet two it shows
as 00/01

Is there a way to make it show nothing in sheet 2 if it shows nothing
in sheet 1?
------------------------------------------:)

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517023

SteveG

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

This should work.

=IF([cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8=2,[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!I8,"")

This will return a blank if [cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8 does not equal 2.

HTH

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517023

SteveG

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

Actually, I think this is what you were looking for.

=IF(AND([cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8=2,Sheet1!I8<""),[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!I8,"")

This is where if Sheet1!N8 = 2 and Sheet1!I8 is not blank it will
return the date in Sheet1!I8. If Sheet1!N8 =2 and Sheet1!I8 is blank,
it will return blank.

Does that help?

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517023

Boethius1

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

Hi,
it works if i press space bar to delete information but not if i press
delete key. still shows as 00/01. As i need to highlight several to
hundreds of cells space bar is not an option. any other ideas? thanks
for your quick replies.

Could it be because i have formatted the column to show as a date?

------------------:)

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517023

Dave Peterson

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

I think SteveG had a typo in his suggested formula:

=IF(AND([cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8=2,Sheet1!I8<""),[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!I8,"")

should be:

=IF(AND([cpleger.xls]Sheet1!N8=2,[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!I8<""),
[cpleger.xls]Sheet1!I8,"")

(all one cell)

He was pointing at sheet1!i8 of the current workbook--not in cpleger.xls.

If that didn't help, you should post the formula you're using.

Boethius1 wrote:

Hi,
it works if i press space bar to delete information but not if i press
delete key. still shows as 00/01. As i need to highlight several to
hundreds of cells space bar is not an option. any other ideas? thanks
for your quick replies.

Could it be because i have formatted the column to show as a date?

------------------:)

--
Boethius1

Boethius1's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30497
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=517023

--

Dave Peterson

Boethius1

=IF cell needs to show blank if blank

Thank you both very much, it does now work exactly as i wanted!!