-   -   Display adjacent cell as result... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/73712-display-adjacent-cell-result.html)

prspiderman

Display adjacent cell as result...

Hello Gang:
I have two colums, Column A (Val1) and Column B (a number such as 456). If
I use the expression =max(b1:b10) I get the highest value for that column,
but what what I need is the adjacent cell name such as Val1.

Thanks for the help in advance...
--
Rafy Rivera

Niek Otten

Display adjacent cell as result...

=INDEX(A1:A10,MATCH(MAX(B1:B10),B1:B10,0))

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten

"prspiderman" wrote in message
Hello Gang:
I have two colums, Column A (Val1) and Column B (a number such as 456). If
I use the expression =max(b1:b10) I get the highest value for that column,
but what what I need is the adjacent cell name such as Val1.

Thanks for the help in advance...
--
Rafy Rivera

Gary''s Student

Display adjacent cell as result...

Use MATCH() to find in what row the maximum is located and then INDIRECT() go
get the text value from column A:

in C1 enter:
=MAX(B1:B10) your max should appear

in D1 enter:
=MATCH(C1,B1:B10) the correct row number holding max should appear

in E1 enter:
=INDIRECT("A" & D1) the text in col A for that row should appear
--
Gary's Student

"prspiderman" wrote:

Hello Gang:
I have two colums, Column A (Val1) and Column B (a number such as 456). If
I use the expression =max(b1:b10) I get the highest value for that column,
but what what I need is the adjacent cell name such as Val1.

Thanks for the help in advance...
--
Rafy Rivera

prspiderman

Display adjacent cell as result...

Niek and Student, I really appreciate your time and expertise.

Thanks, problem solved, situation under control
--
Rafy Rivera
"Airborne Leads the way"