-   -   Inserting characters into text already typed (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/73628-inserting-characters-into-text-already-typed.html)

[email protected]

Inserting characters into text already typed

I made a list of phone numbers without the parenthesis and dashes and
spaces figuring I would format the numbers later with the special phone
number format. But now I want to actually input all the parenthesis,
dashes and etc. into the plain numbers typed in the cells. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

Ron Rosenfeld

On 23 Feb 2006 16:50:35 -0800, wrote:

I made a list of phone numbers without the parenthesis and dashes and
spaces figuring I would format the numbers later with the special phone
number format. But now I want to actually input all the parenthesis,
dashes and etc. into the plain numbers typed in the cells. Any
suggestions? Thanks in advance.

You might be able to use the TEXT function.

If your entry is 8005551212 (in A1), then:

=TEXT(A1,"1-(000) 000-0000")

-- 1-(800) 555-1212
as a text string

--ron

CLR

Inserting characters into text already typed

Select the cells.....Right-click FormatCells NumberTab Special
PhoneNumber OK

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

ups.com...