Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
vencopbrass

Default obtaining data from a list

I need to get some values from a list but I don't want to sort or filter
the list. I want a user in input some values and I want to obtain a
value in the list based on what was entered. Then I want to use that
value in other calculations. Also the list is formatted like this:

material thk lbs/sqft
cs 3/16 7.66
cs 1/4 10.2
cs 5/16 12.8
cs 3/8 15.3
cs 7/16 17.9
ss 14 ga 3.15
ss 10 ga 5.67
ss 3/16 8.58

and I want to get the lbs/sqft based on the first 2 columns.
So the input would be cs and 5/16 I need to get 12.8 and put that into
a cell where I can use it. Also I would prefer the user to not see this
list.

I would like to have a pull down for the first column and then based on
what is chosen have a pull down for the second column but have only the
values shown that correspond to the first column. then when a value is
chosen in column 2 the correct value for column 3 would appear.
Is this possible?? I have pulled my hair out trying.

--
vencopbrass
vencopbrass's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31868