-   -   Shared Workbook (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/73549-shared-workbook.html)

Bryan

Shared Workbook

I have a question that I hope will be fairly simple. I have a shared
workbook on a public drive that several people change. There is a password
upon opening the workbook....and users who don't have the password will have
to view as Read Only.

If a user opens this up as Read Only and keeps this spreadsheet open during
the day.....what can I do to make sure data refreshes for this user as it is
changed by somebody with full access? I've been told that even if I set my
shared workbook to update every 5 minutes......users who have this Read Only
will not get these updates.

Any suggestions on what my best options are?

Dave Peterson

Shared Workbook

I shared a workbook.

I opened a second copy in a second instance of excel as read only.

I opened a third copy in a third instance of excel (read/write).

I set the time to update to 5 minutes.

I made some changes to the original instance and saved. I waited 5 minutes and
the 2nd (readonly) didn't show the changes. The third (read/write) showed them.

I think you've been told correctly (well, for at least xl2003 where I tested).

Maybe make it a training issue--remember to close and reopen your workbook
before you trust it???

--

Dave Peterson