-   -   Range of cells and division formula (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/73494-range-cells-division-formula.html)

tdg119

Range of cells and division formula

I basically just want to divide the sum of one range of cells by the sum of
another range of cells.

This works: =SUM(H2+H3)/(E2+E3).
This does not work: =SUM(H2:H3)/(E2:E3)

I want to be able to copy the formula to continue adding to the range of
cells on each side.

IE: =SUM(H2:H4)/(E2:E4) through end of spreadsheet: =SUM(H52:H54)/(E52:E54)

What's wrong with my formula?

Elkar

Range of cells and division formula

You just forgot to include the SUM for your second function:

=SUM(H2:H3)/SUM(E2:E3)

HTH,
Elkar

"tdg119" wrote:

I basically just want to divide the sum of one range of cells by the sum of
another range of cells.

This works: =SUM(H2+H3)/(E2+E3).
This does not work: =SUM(H2:H3)/(E2:E3)

I want to be able to copy the formula to continue adding to the range of
cells on each side.

IE: =SUM(H2:H4)/(E2:E4) through end of spreadsheet: =SUM(H52:H54)/(E52:E54)

What's wrong with my formula?

via135

Range of cells and division formula

=SUM(H2:H3)/SUM(E2:E3)

-via135

--
via135
via135's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=26725

tdg119

Range of cells and division formula

Thanks for your help - I can't believe I didn't think to try that