Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
PaolaAndrea

Default subtotal of identical data and deleting its duplicate

Good Morning:

I have a column that was use for inventory control. I want to subtotal that
column and delete its duplicates.

example:

abc
abc
def
def
def

I want column b to give me the count for each repetive cell and then delete
the duplitates. The result should be:

abc 2
def 3

Please help.

Thank you.

PaolaAndrea
Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Michael

Hi PaolaAndrea. There is a way, not elegant, but it works. Sort the
inventory items in column A to bring all the duplicate items together. Next,
go to data - subtotal and select count. Copy your data and paste special -
values to a new worksheet starting in A2. Put labels in A1 and B1. Column A
will have abc count and def count and column B will have the abc's, def's and
the count of each next to where it says abc and def count. Label column C
total and in C2 type: =if(right(a2,5)="count","T","") and copy down the
length of your data. This will put a T in Column C in each row that has a
count of the inventory items. Sort column C descending to bring all the T's
to the top and delete all the rest. Finally, delete Column C and then go to
Edit - Replace and Replace the word Count with nothing. Please post back if
this is too confusing and I'll try to make it clearer. HTH
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"PaolaAndrea" wrote:

Good Morning:

I have a column that was use for inventory control. I want to subtotal that
column and delete its duplicates.

example:

abc
abc
def
def
def

I want column b to give me the count for each repetive cell and then delete
the duplitates. The result should be:

abc 2
def 3

Please help.

Thank you.

PaolaAndrea

Posted to microsoft.public.excel.misc
Dave Peterson

If you add headers, you could use data|pivottable.

If you sort your data (after adding headers), you could use data|subtotals and
use count.

then use the outlining symbols at the left to hide the details.
select those cells you can see
edit|goto special|visible cells only
edit|copy
start a new sheet
edit|paste

You may want to select that first column and
edit|replace
what: (spacebar)Count
with: (leave blank)
replace all