-   -   How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71981-how-do-i-keep-formula-constant-dragging-cells-below-rows.html)

analyst storm

How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when a
drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell reference.
I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

L. Howard Kittle

How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

Use absolute reference... =$A$1+$B$1

There are varations to hold the row absolute, or the column.

Do a formula and click on A1 then use F4 to toggle through the options of
absolute reference.

HTH
Regards,
Howard

"analyst storm" <analyst wrote in message
I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when
drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell
reference.
I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

Gary''s Student

How do I keep a formula constant in dragging cells below the rows

Put a single space before the = before you copy. Afterwards, remove the
spaces.
--
Gary''s Student

"analyst storm" wrote:

I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when a
drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell reference.
I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

George

analyst storm wrote:
I want to fill a column of cells with the same fomula in each cell but when a
drag the cells the formula keeps changing by adding 1 to each cell reference.
I want the same formula in each cell over namy rolls in a column.

Look up 'cell and range references' in the help
It's called absolute addressing
Basically, put a $ sign in front of the reference you dont want to change

Eg.
$B1 The B won't change
B$1 The 1 won't change
$B$1 Both the B and the 1 won't change