-   -   Merge Cells (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71829-merge-cells.html)

GARY

Merge Cells

When I copy data from a posting in Google Group
"microsoft.public.excel.misc" and post it into a cell in Excel 2000,
the height of the cell doubles and the pasted-data occupies the
bottom-half of the cell.

Then, when I do FORMAT/CELLS/ALIGNMENT, there's a check-mark in the
"Merge Cells" box in the "Text Control" section. When I un-check the
box, the cell returns to the normal size.

How do can I prevent check-mark from automatically appearing in the
"Merge Cells" box? (Is there something in TOOLS/OPTIONS or
TOOLS/CUSTOMIZE or ??? that I can set?