-   -   Cannot open workbook. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71739-cannot-open-workbook.html)

Simon_Newbie

Cannot open workbook.

Using Excel 97 and Excel2000 I have a workbook that appears to be corrupt.
When I open it I get a message window -Microsoft Excel for Windows has
encountered a problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvenience.
The next window gives the Error signatu AppName:excel.exe
AppVer:9.0.0.6627 ModName: excel.exe ModVer:9.0.0.6627 Offset:0016083b. The
next window gives details of the Windows Error reporting log that gets sent
to Microsoft. I was able to open the workbook using a tool called ExcelFix
but as it was only a demo version I could not save the workbook. Does anyone
know how I can recover the contents using Excel97 or Excel2000?

Any help gratefully received.

tdols

Cannot open workbook.

it's usually able to read corrupt excel workbooks
www.openoffice.org

--
tdols
tdols's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31565

Simon_Newbie

Cannot open workbook.

Many thanks for your response. A colleague had a copy of Excel2003 which was
able to open the workbook. It would still be nice to know if there is any
way around this problem using either Excel97 or Excel2000.