-   -   how do i arrange column A (last name) in alphabetical order? t. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/716-how-do-i-arrange-column-last-name-alphabetical-order-t.html)

hershy

how do i arrange column A (last name) in alphabetical order? t.

my phone book is in excel. how can i alphabetize by last name (column A)?

thanks

tjtjjtjt

Click on any one last name.
Then, Look for the Sort Ascending Button on the Standard Toolbar. It looks
like a Blue A above a Red Z. Click that button once.
--or--
Click on any cell in the phone list (such as a last name).
Go to Data | Sort.
Make sure it is selecting the Last Name Column in the Sort by position.
Click Okay.

tj

"hershy" wrote:

my phone book is in excel. how can i alphabetize by last name (column A)?

thanks

Dave Peterson

I don't trust excel to guess the range to be sorted.

I like to select the range (only the last of headers) and then use Data|Sort.

(Sometimes excel guesses wrong and in earlier versions, it doesn't give any
warning message asking if the range should be expanded.)

--

Dave Peterson