-   -   VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special... (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71122-vlookup-merge-documents-copy-paste-special.html)

nastech

VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special...

Hi, I have an equation that is getting the data from the 2nd column of a new
data workbook, after comparing a column in my workbook to the 1st column of
new data book. The problem with is cannot get ISNA to work in conjunction
with, so n/a's do not show. Have:

=VLOOKUP(V124,[file.xls]sheet!$A$1:$B$3355,2,FALSE)

gets 1st column into old doc fine, but I can not seem to use an IF in front
of, to exclude a couple of items (to mention again, can't get rid of N/A..)

=IF(OR(V124={"",".",".sym."}),"",

does not work, hope enough info.. thanks

Bob Phillips

VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special...

Just use

=IF(ISNA(lookup_formula),"",lookup_formula)

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"nastech" wrote in message
Hi, I have an equation that is getting the data from the 2nd column of a

new
data workbook, after comparing a column in my workbook to the 1st column

of
new data book. The problem with is cannot get ISNA to work in conjunction
with, so n/a's do not show. Have:

=VLOOKUP(V124,[file.xls]sheet!$A$1:$B$3355,2,FALSE)

gets 1st column into old doc fine, but I can not seem to use an IF in

front
of, to exclude a couple of items (to mention again, can't get rid of

N/A..)

=IF(OR(V124={"",".",".sym."}),"",

does not work, hope enough info.. thanks

Bob Phillips

VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special...

You could also use

=IF(V124={"",".",".sym."},"",VLOOKUP(V124,[file.xls]sheet!$A$1:$B$3355,2,FAL
SE)

which is an array formula, it should be committed with Ctrl-Shift-Enter, not
just Enter.

--

HTH

Bob Phillips

"nastech" wrote in message
Hi, I have an equation that is getting the data from the 2nd column of a

new
data workbook, after comparing a column in my workbook to the 1st column

of
new data book. The problem with is cannot get ISNA to work in conjunction
with, so n/a's do not show. Have:

=VLOOKUP(V124,[file.xls]sheet!$A$1:$B$3355,2,FALSE)

gets 1st column into old doc fine, but I can not seem to use an IF in

front
of, to exclude a couple of items (to mention again, can't get rid of

N/A..)

=IF(OR(V124={"",".",".sym."}),"",

does not work, hope enough info.. thanks

nastech

VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special...

thankyou!! is there a name for the fault that produces, using 2 If Not's I
guesse.. thanks

"nastech" wrote in message
Hi, I have an equation that is getting the data from the 2nd column of a

new
data workbook, after comparing a column in my workbook to the 1st column

of
new data book. The problem with is cannot get ISNA to work in conjunction
with, so n/a's do not show. Have:

=VLOOKUP(V124,[file.xls]sheet!$A$1:$B$3355,2,FALSE)

gets 1st column into old doc fine, but I can not seem to use an IF in

front
of, to exclude a couple of items (to mention again, can't get rid of

N/A..)

does not work, hope enough info.. thanks

Bob Phillips

VLOOKUP merge documents, copy-paste special...

Sorry, I don't understand the question. Can you clarify?

--

HTH

Bob Phillips