-   -   Can the default size of an excel 2000 worksheet be changed? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71079-can-default-size-excel-2000-worksheet-changed.html)

Patti

Can the default size of an excel 2000 worksheet be changed?

I'm working on a pretty big worksheet and actually need more columns. Right
now it stops at IV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Trevor Shuttleworth

Can the default size of an excel 2000 worksheet be changed?

Sorry, that's the way it is, 256 columns and 65536 rows.

It's not just the default, it's the maximum ... and, I guess, the minimum.
Every worksheet always has those dimensions, you can't make it bigger, you
can't make it smaller, though you can hide rows and columns.

Have you thought about restructuring your data or using a database ?

Regards

Trevor

"Patti" wrote in message
I'm working on a pretty big worksheet and actually need more columns.
Right
now it stops at IV. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wes at CCC

Can the default size of an excel 2000 worksheet be changed?

Have you thought about using multiple sheets instead of a single sheet? Also,
you can link Excel workbooks; i.e. multiple files linked together.

Another thought is to orient your worksheet vertically - over 65,000 rows!

I understand that the new Excel (with Vista) will have a huge number of
columns and rows. But for now we have what we have.