-   -   Extracting text from one file to another (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/71015-extracting-text-one-file-another.html)

Vaud

Extracting text from one file to another

Is there a way to use VLookup to extract text? I have a PN on my current
worksheet that I'd like to lookup in another, then pull the text comments
from the other worksheet. VLookup only pulls numbers instead of text.

flummi

Extracting text from one file to another

Vlookup delivers anything that is in the column you told it to take a
value from.

=Vlookup(a5;range;4;false)

looks up the search value in A5 in the table named "range" and puts
what it finds in column 4 of the line where it found the search value
into the cell of your formula.

Hans