-   -   Please Help with Summing (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70964-please-help-summing.html)

mrharlow

Please Help with Summing

I have a large list of data, and certain subtotals.

Is there any way to have excel calculate which combination(s) of the
data sum to form a subtotal? This is really important, and if anyone
could help I would appreciate it!

--
mrharlow
mrharlow's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31423

Gary''s Student

Please Help with Summing

Use walking ones to generate the combinations:

For example, you have five items: 1,3,5,7,11 and you want to know which
sub-set will add up to 24.

In A1 put:
=ROW()
in B1 put:
=DEC2BIN(A1,5)

and copy down thru row 31. In C1 thru G1 put:
=(LEFT(B1,1))*1
=(MID(B1,2,1))*1
=(MID(B1,3,1))*1
=(MID(B1,4,1))*1
=(RIGHT(B1))*1 and also copy down thru row 31

In H1 thru L1 put your data:
1, 3, 5, 7, 11 and copy down

In K1 put:
=SUMPRODUCT(C1:G1,H1:L1) and copy down