-   -   If statement help (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70953-if-statement-help.html)

lschuh

If statement help

I want to average a group of numbers. I am using 1-5. If the average
exceeds 5.0 I want the value to return 5.0 if not then I just want the
average of the group of numbers. I wrote the following and the formula works
if true but returns a "false" if false.
=If(average(g9:g19)5.0,5.0,Average(g9:g19)

I know the above is incorrect. The formula works on the first part but if
false if multiplies the second average.

Elkar

If statement help

You don't really need an IF Statement for this. I think the MIN() function
will work for you.

=MIN(AVERAGE(G9:G19),5.0)

This returns the lowest (minimum) value between 5 and the average of your
range.

HTH,
Elkar