-   -   Ranking Problem (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70946-ranking-problem.html)

sa02000

Ranking Problem

I have 4 columns of data with lots of rows (lets say 500). I would like
to add 5th column ranking each row relative to other rows. But I need
to check 3 different columns and depending on which column triggers, I
need to add a rank. So for example, if numbers in column two are great
than 1000 then the rank is decided based on column 2 but if column 2
values is less than 1000 then rank has to be decided based on values in
column 3 but if column 4 has a certain value then I need to skip that
row completely. Something along the lines below... I tried using if
with Rank function..it skips the rows but it still increases the rank
count by 1

Column1 Column2 Column3 Column4 Column5 (added)
A 1243 .98 561 3 <--based on
column2
B 1543 .89 561 2 <--based on
column2
C 900 .45 561 5 <--based on
column3
D 969 .56 561 4 <--based on
column3
F 654 0.42 No list Skip <--based on
column4
G 4532 0.56 561 1 <--based on
column2

Any help will be very appriciated. Thank, Jay

--
sa02000
sa02000's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=27747

Andre Croteau

Ranking Problem

Hi Jay,

I would try 2 helper columns:

Column 6 =if(isblank(4A),"",Column3A)

Column 7
=if(column2A=1000,rank(column2A,Column2),rank(col umn6A,Column6)+countif(column2,"=1000"))

and copy down

André

"sa02000" wrote in
message ...

[...]

Sloth

Ranking Problem

=IF(ISNUMBER(D2),IF(B21000,SUMPRODUCT(--($B$2:$B$7=B2)),SUMPRODUCT(--($B$2:$B$7<1000),--($C$2:$C$7=C2))+SUMPRODUCT(--($B$2:$B$71000))),"SKIP")

Copy this formula to E2, and then change the ranges to incorporate the hole
list. Copy and paste the formula down the list.