-   -   How do I get two lines within a row? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70669-how-do-i-get-two-lines-within-row.html)

batdance

How do I get two lines within a row?

I know I can wrap text, but that doesn't work when the first line should be
shorter than the second and/or third.

I know there must be a character out there that drops you down to the next
line. I have been copying & pasting the space between one line and the next
on other people's documents so I can make it work on my documents, but there
must be a key or something people are typing to get that to work. Can someone
fill me in on this secret? It's such a mystery.

Dave Peterson

How do I get two lines within a row?

alt-enter will force a new line in a cell.

In a formula:
="some text" & char(10) & "some more"
(with wrap text turned on)

--

Dave Peterson

Pete

How do I get two lines within a row?

At the end of your line of text press <Alt<Enter to force a new line
and keep doing this as you type the text in to give you more lines.

Hope this helps.

Pete

Kassie

How do I get two lines within a row?

<Alt<Enter!

"batdance" wrote:

I know I can wrap text, but that doesn't work when the first line should be
shorter than the second and/or third.

I know there must be a character out there that drops you down to the next
line. I have been copying & pasting the space between one line and the next
on other people's documents so I can make it work on my documents, but there
must be a key or something people are typing to get that to work. Can someone
fill me in on this secret? It's such a mystery.

Philip Reece-Heal

How do I get two lines within a row?

When you want a carriage return in a cell, Hold down Alt key and hit Enter

Philip