-   -   Can you Sell Excel spreadsheets (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70489-can-you-sell-excel-spreadsheets.html)

scott56hannah

Can you Sell Excel spreadsheets

I am interested to know if it is legal to sell an Excel spreadsheet that I
have created. If it is legal a couple of further questions

- what type of disclaimer do Microsoft require you to include with the
spreadsheet if any and where would I find that

- does anyone know how you would use Excel to prevent the copying of the
spreadsheet once sold ? Is there some way of registering and recoginising a
particular installation of Excel on a machine that would mean the spreadsheet
could not easily be passed between people

Bob Phillips

Can you Sell Excel spreadsheets

You can sell Excel spreadsheets quite freely. As they need Excel on the
target machine to be of any use, that is where Microsoft make their money.

Preventing copying is difficult, if not impossible. It is after all only a
file, and once released, can be distributed as such. The main executable,
which is protectable, is Excel, not the spreadsheet. You could try tying it
into all sorts of complicated registration/licensing schemes, but not would
probably be foolproof, and so it may not be worthwhile. The spreadsheet
would have to be a real classic to warrant that much effort.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"scott56hannah" wrote in message
I am interested to know if it is legal to sell an Excel spreadsheet that I
have created. If it is legal a couple of further questions

- what type of disclaimer do Microsoft require you to include with the
spreadsheet if any and where would I find that

- does anyone know how you would use Excel to prevent the copying of the
spreadsheet once sold ? Is there some way of registering and recoginising

particular installation of Excel on a machine that would mean the

spreadsheet
could not easily be passed between people

Harry

Can you Sell Excel spreadsheets

You'd want to be sure that you have created something unique and it is not
already in production.

The best way to protect your IP is through copyright notices - just like any
written work, this could be your best protection. Probably best to get some
legal advice, perhaps from a community law practice, which is usually free.

"scott56hannah" wrote:

I am interested to know if it is legal to sell an Excel spreadsheet that I
have created. If it is legal a couple of further questions

- what type of disclaimer do Microsoft require you to include with the
spreadsheet if any and where would I find that

- does anyone know how you would use Excel to prevent the copying of the
spreadsheet once sold ? Is there some way of registering and recoginising a
particular installation of Excel on a machine that would mean the spreadsheet
could not easily be passed between people

StephenAccountant

Can you Sell Excel spreadsheets

look up www.doneex.com.

Very good and useful tool for this sort of thing.