-   -   How do I open an existing excel 2003 document (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70383-how-do-i-open-existing-excel-2003-document.html)

kitchenguy

How do I open an existing excel 2003 document

I believe a setting/s has been changed in my computer. I used to be able to
open an existing/saved excel document and all the information would be there.
Now I open an existing document and all I get is a blank excel spreadsheet.
How do I revert to the old settings so that when I open a saved document, the
spreadsheet opens with all the previously saved information?
--
Thanks for your help

Dave Peterson

How do I open an existing excel 2003 document

You're opening the workbook via double clicking in windows explorer?

But if you use File|open within excel everything is ok??

Sometimes one of these works:

Tools|Options|General|Ignore other applications (uncheck it)

--- or ---

Close Excel and
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /unregserver
then
Windows Start Button|Run
excel /regserver

factory defaults.

====
If that's not it, you may want to give more info.

kitchenguy wrote:

I believe a setting/s has been changed in my computer. I used to be able to
open an existing/saved excel document and all the information would be there.
Now I open an existing document and all I get is a blank excel spreadsheet.
How do I revert to the old settings so that when I open a saved document, the
spreadsheet opens with all the previously saved information?
--
Thanks for your help

--

Dave Peterson

kitchenguy

How do I open an existing excel 2003 document

I just read a similar post and followed Ron de Bruin's suggestion to click on:

ToolsOptionsGeneral uncheck "Ignore other Applications"
Exit Excel and try again

It worked like a charm. Thanks for your help.

Cathy

--
Thanks for your help