-   -   Extracting single piece of data (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/70374-re-extracting-single-piece-data.html)

CLR

Extracting single piece of data

If your desired string is always at the right end, and always contains 9
characters, then use this and copy down..........

=RIGHT(a1,9)

Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Louis" wrote:

Quickbooks exports our item list as such:

CIRCUIT CONTROL VALVES- Pneumad:Pressure
Regulators:11-Series:Relieving:R11-RK-66

the ":" is the category the item to the right is in.

All I need from this is the part # at the end, the R11-RK-66. It will
always be at the end of the string. the problem is there are 12K parts, so I
can't just "text to column" and go that route, it would take forever. I need
a formula or macro I think to take out just the last item after the last ":"
A small kicker in this is some items may have 4 categories, some may have 2,
some may have 0.
Thanks in advance for any ideas...

--
Louis