-   -   Add Zeros to Numbers (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/69996-add-zeros-numbers.html)

Rebecca

Add Zeros to Numbers

Greetings. I'm using EXCEL 2003, and I have a problem that I can't seem to
find the answer to. I have a column that has 15506 rows, and each row
contains a number, an underline, and a word. The rows look something like
this:

1_blah
2_blahblah
3_cat
4_dog
234_flower
235_flowing
15500_zebra
15501_zemo
etc.

I need to put four zeros in front of numbers 1-9, three from 10-99, etc., so
I can later sort on this column when I'm using the data in another program
(please don't ask why the data is like this; it just is!). Is there a way to
add these zeros automatically before the words but without having to do any
programing, something I am unable to do? I would deeply appreciate your help
in solving this problem.

Niek Otten

Add Zeros to Numbers

=REPT("0",6-FIND("_",A1))&A1