-   -   Why are column names in numbers instead of characters? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/69790-why-column-names-numbers-instead-characters.html)

Harsha

Why are column names in numbers instead of characters?

I am trying to learn Microsoft Excel all by myself and have small issue which
I believe can be solved by any average user. Hope someone can help me.

This is the problem. Usually an Excel worksheet will look like this.

Rows Columns
A B C D
1
2
3
4

When I load Excel in my computer, by default the worksheet will look like
this.

Rows Columns
1 2 3 4
1
2
3
4

Is there any way to change the Column names from 1,2,3,4.. to A,B,C,D in my
default setting permenantly (so that all the worksheets will look the way it
should look normally)?

Thanks.

Kevin B

Why are column names in numbers instead of characters?

Click Tools in the menu, select Options and then click on the General tab.
Locate the check box that says R1C1 reference style and turn the check off.
--
Kevin Backmann