-   -   Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000 (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/68473-convert-numbers-stored-text-numbers-excel-2000-a.html)

Darlene

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

Ron Coderre

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

Try this:

Select a blank cell
EditCopy

Select the range of numbers
EditPaste Special
Check: Add
Click the [OK] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Darlene" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

bpeltzer

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

Enter the number 0 in some empty cell and copy it (ctrl+c).
Select your text to convert, and Edit Paste Special, select Add and click
OK.
--Bruce

"Darlene" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

Darlene

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

Is there anything I can do with the negatives that show up as 456.78- ?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select a blank cell
EditCopy

Select the range of numbers
EditPaste Special
Check: Add
Click the [OK] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Darlene" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

Ron Coderre

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

Regarding the trailing minus sign....

Select the cell(s)
DataText-to-Columns
Select either delimited or fixed width (whichever suits your data)
Click the [Next] button...adjust as necessary
Click the [Next] button
Click the [Advanced] button...adjust as necessary
Check: Trailing mins signs
Click the [OK] button
Click the [Finish] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Darlene" wrote:

Is there anything I can do with the negatives that show up as 456.78- ?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select a blank cell
EditCopy

Select the range of numbers
EditPaste Special
Check: Add
Click the [OK] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Darlene" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

Darlene

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

I am using 2000 and the trailing minus sign option box is not available.
Thanks anyway...

"Darlene" wrote:

Is there anything I can do with the negatives that show up as 456.78- ?

"Ron Coderre" wrote:

Try this:

Select a blank cell
EditCopy

Select the range of numbers
EditPaste Special
Check: Add
Click the [OK] button

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Darlene" wrote:

I am using Excel 2000 and have received a large data file downloaded from a
mainframe system. Is there a way to easily convert the numbers stored as
text back to numbers so I can total them?

Dave Peterson

Convert numbers stored as text to numbers Excel 2000

Dana DeLouis posted this:

Sub TrailingMinus()
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
' Use of CDbl suggested by Peter Surcouf
' Program by Dana DeLouis,
' = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =
Dim rng As Range
Dim bigrng As Range

On Error Resume Next
Set bigrng = Cells.SpecialCells(xlConstants, xlTextValues).Cells
If bigrng Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

For Each rng In bigrng.Cells
rng = CDbl(rng)
Next