-   -   Excel auto filtering to find a range of dates in a list (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/68328-excel-auto-filtering-find-range-dates-list.html)

Candy

Excel auto filtering to find a range of dates in a list

Please Help! I've tried all morning to auto filter a range of dates using
"greater than or equal to" and/or "but less than." I've tried every scenario
the auto filter offers with no luck. Out of the twelve months listed for
birthdays, I simply want to get all of the February birth dates only. So, for
example, I choose "is greater than or equal to 1/1 and/or "is less than or
equal to 3/1. With those perimeters chosen, I would expect to get all of the
2/ or February dates!

Nothing I do gets this list filtered. I'm soooooo frustrated! Can anyone
help?

Pete

Excel auto filtering to find a range of dates in a list

It might be easier to use a helper column (i.e. another column next to
your data in which you can add a formula). I would suggest a formula
such as:

=MONTH(A2)

assuming your dates start in A2. Copy the formula down, and use this
column to filter looking for months (obviously, February is 2).

Hope this helps.

Pete

Art Farrell

Excel auto filtering to find a range of dates in a list

Hi Candy,

If you're using the Custom filter box, for February use 2/1/2006 for the
first entry and 3/1/2006 for the second. If you're using VBA you can do it
this way:

.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="=" & CDate(Range("M1")), _
Operator:=xlAnd, Criteria2:="<" & CDate(Range("N1"))
where M1 and N1 hold your dates. Or:

.AutoFilter Field:=3, Criteria1:="=" & CDate("2/1/06"), _
Operator:=xlAnd, Criteria2:="<" & CDate("3/1/06")

For the manual method you need the full year spelled out.

CHORDially,
Art Farrell