-   -   calculating time (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/67432-calculating-time.html)

Jason - MR

calculating time

I've got a couple projects that require me to figure out how long we have
owned an asset. I have acquisition & disposal dates but I can't figure out
the formula to convert these into any form of days or months or years. Any
suggestions? My date columns are in the format 08/28/99. Thanks. Jason.

daddylonglegs

calculating time

You can simply subtract the acquisition date from the disposal date. If
they're in A1 & B1 repectively

=B1-A1

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486

Jason - MR

calculating time

I've tried that, all I get is another date. For example where I subtract
12/31/05 -11/30/03, I get 12/31/02.

These dates are imported from another program and appear date formatted, but
the subtraction doesn't work.

Thanks. Jason.

"daddylonglegs" wrote:

You can simply subtract the acquisition date from the disposal date. If
they're in A1 & B1 repectively

=B1-A1

format as general

--
daddylonglegs
daddylonglegs's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30486
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=505177

daddylonglegs

calculating time

It's all in the formatting.....

For the cell with your formula e.g. =B1-A1,use Format Cells Number
General and you should see a result of 762

Because you are subtracting dates excel assumes, wrongly, that you want
the result in a date format - because excel's dates start at 1st January
1900 if you count 762 days from that date you get 31st January 1902 so
your result showed as 01/31/02