-   -   Count occurrence of character within a cell (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/65468-count-occurrence-character-within-cell.html)

Kelli

Count occurrence of character within a cell

I would like to count the number of a particular character within a cell. In
the cell are store numbers/names separated by the | character. The store
number/name represents a stop that the truck made. There is always one more
| character than stops. An example is: PER | R7 | PER is one stop at R7.
Another example is: BAK | 80 | 42 | BAK is 2 stops- one at 80 and one at 42.
Yes there is a space before and after the | character and PER or BAK is where
the truck started and ended. Thank you for any help.

Bernard Liengme

Count occurrence of character within a cell

Not sure from message what to count.
This =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"|","")) counts number of | charters in A2's
value
So =LEN(A2)-LEN(SUBSTITUTE(A2,"|","")) -1 counts stops?
best wishes
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme

"Kelli" wrote in message
I would like to count the number of a particular character within a cell.
In
the cell are store numbers/names separated by the | character. The store
number/name represents a stop that the truck made. There is always one
more
| character than stops. An example is: PER | R7 | PER is one stop at R7.
Another example is: BAK | 80 | 42 | BAK is 2 stops- one at 80 and one at
42.
Yes there is a space before and after the | character and PER or BAK is
where
the truck started and ended. Thank you for any help.

Kelli

Count occurrence of character within a cell

Bernard,
Thank you. It works and "|" is the correct character.
Kelli