-   -   automatically numbering rows (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/65441-automatically-numbering-rows.html)

cox ng \(1\)

automatically numbering rows

I wish to have rows automatically numbered in column "A" according to the
content in column "B". If column "B" has text or numbers in a cell I do not
want to number that row in column "A". If column "B" is blank in a cell I
want to number that row in column "A". I found the following formula that
works the opposite of what I want "=IF(B1<"",COUNTA($B$1:B1)&".","")" .
What would the formula be if I wanted to numerically count the blank cells
in "B" and skip the context cells in "B"? Thanks for you consideration.
Regards

Arvi Laanemets

automatically numbering rows

Hi

The formula for A1
=IF($B1="",ROW()-COUNTIF($B$1:$B1,"<"),"")
, and copy it down

Arvi Laanemets

"cox ng (1)" wrote in message
I wish to have rows automatically numbered in column "A" according to the
content in column "B". If column "B" has text or numbers in a cell I do

not
want to number that row in column "A". If column "B" is blank in a cell I
want to number that row in column "A". I found the following formula that
works the opposite of what I want "=IF(B1<"",COUNTA($B$1:B1)&".","")" .
What would the formula be if I wanted to numerically count the blank cells
in "B" and skip the context cells in "B"? Thanks for you consideration.
Regards

galimi

automatically numbering rows

The following formula should work