-   -   Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/65028-auto-populate-several-cells-based-selection-drop-down-li.html)

Sheldon

Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

I'm working on creating a form in Excel that needs to contain different
information in the body of the form based on the selection from a drop down
list. for example: if i choose "C2" from the drop down list then I want cell
A5 to fill with "The car sped by at 55 mph." and cell B5 with "puppies sure
are cute." and cell A6 with "crack is whack." and cell B6 with "I'm so hungry
I could eat a horse." All of this fill-in information would be on another
worksheet.

Thanks for any help.
Sheldon

CLR

Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

I would recommend creating a VLOOKUP table with all your options, and then
using various VLOOKUP formulas to find the selections you want for each
cell....such as

=VLOOKUP(a1,YourLookupTable,4,FALSE)

hth
Vaya con Dios,
Chuck, CABGx3

"Sheldon" wrote:

I'm working on creating a form in Excel that needs to contain different
information in the body of the form based on the selection from a drop down
list. for example: if i choose "C2" from the drop down list then I want cell
A5 to fill with "The car sped by at 55 mph." and cell B5 with "puppies sure
are cute." and cell A6 with "crack is whack." and cell B6 with "I'm so hungry
I could eat a horse." All of this fill-in information would be on another
worksheet.

Thanks for any help.
Sheldon

Conor

Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop down li

If all the various cells respond the same way every time to each
selection, that is, if "B5" always says "puppies are cute" whenever
"C2" is selected, then yes this can be done with nested IF stmts, or
Vlookup, etc. in each of the response cells. The dropdown box has a
cell link in its control that changes value based on the selection. For
instance, if "C2" is your first selection in the dropdown, the link cell
value will be "1". If you choose the second selection, let's say it is
"D3", then the link cell value will be "2", etc.

That link cell value can be used to determine the value you enter into
the various response cells - as I said by a Vlookup, IF stmts, etc.

I hope that helps.

--
Conor
Conor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30450

Sheldon

Auto populate several cells based on a selection from drop dow

Thanks. This is very helpful. I think I'll go the IF stmt route. Have a great
weekend.