-   -   lost file (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/64992-lost-file.html)

JL Ecklund

lost file

I have been using plantlist.xls for months. Today it will not open stating
that a document of the same name is open & that I must close it or rename it.
I have shut down Excel and restarted the computer but I get the same message.
HELP! All other Excel programs open just fine.

Gord Dibben

lost file

JL

You may have to re-register Excel.

See Debra Dalgleish's site for more info on this problem.

http://www.contextures.on.ca/xlfaqApp.html#AlreadyOpen

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

On Fri, 13 Jan 2006 00:10:02 -0800, "JL Ecklund" <JL
wrote:

I have been using plantlist.xls for months. Today it will not open stating
that a document of the same name is open & that I must close it or rename it.
I have shut down Excel and restarted the computer but I get the same message.
HELP! All other Excel programs open just fine.

JL Ecklund

lost file

It is not that the file is gone from my computer, just that when I select it
I get a blank Excel screen with the message that it is already open. How does
re-registering help?