-   -   Changing the cell color due to results. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/64784-changing-cell-color-due-results.html)

JGarces

Changing the cell color due to results.

To all,

I saw this feature on a spreadsheet before, but I was unable to figure
it out.

For example, the total assets must equal total liabilities and
shareholder's Equity. So I have in cell A2 the sum of all Asset
accounts from another tab, in call A3 the sum of all Liabilities
accounts from another tab and in call A4 the sum of all Equity accounts
from another tab, then, in cell A5, the result should equal zero if I
have no mistakes. "Assets minus sum of Liabilities and equity
(A2-SUM(A3,A4))". If I have an error in the other tabs, the cell
returned a background color, which was RED. How do you do this without
VBA? The spreadsheet didn't have macros....

Thanks for your help

--
JGarces
JGarces's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=30406

SVC

Changing the cell color due to results.

What you want to use is conditional formatting: Format Conditional
Formatting.

Using your example, click in cell A5, then Format Conditional Formatting.
Now set Condition 1 to "Formula is", and in the formula box type (without the
quotes) "=A2-SUM(A3:A4)<0". Now click the Format button and select the
Patterns tab and then the color. Click OK twice

"JGarces" wrote:

[...]

Gary L Brown

Changing the cell color due to results.

Check out...
FormatConditional Formatting...
HTH,
--
Gary Brown

If this post was helpful, please click the ''Yes'' button next to ''Was this
Post Helpfull to you?''.