-   -   LOOKUP and REPLACE (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/64774-lookup-replace.html)

wnfisba

LOOKUP and REPLACE

I have an aggregate spreadsheet, we'll call it Sheet 1. And then a sub-set
spreadsheet, we'll call it Sheet 2. Sheet 1 has ALL 14,900 rows. Sheet 2
contains 5,163 rows. The sub-set sheet, Sheet 2, contains information that
needs to be overwritten in Sheet 1. The Sheet 2 sub-set has more recent
information.

Can anyone help me with a LOOKUP and REPLACE formula that will look for the
key in Sheet 1 and Sheet 2 and replace the contents, just a couple of cells,
in the appropriate cells in Sheet 1???

Thanks in advance.

wnfisba

Dave Peterson

LOOKUP and REPLACE

You have two columns in sheet2 -- the key and the new info?

If yes, then I'd insert a new column in Sheet1.

With the key in column A and the old info in column B and this in my new column
C:

=if(isnumber(match(a2,sheet2!a:a,0)),vlookup(a2,sh eet2!a:b,2,false),b2)

If the keys match, use the info from sheet2, else use the info from column B.

Then copy column C (Edit|Copy)
select column B and edit|paste special|values

and remove that new column C

--

Dave Peterson