-   -   Validation Question....Can this be done? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/64438-validation-question-can-done.html)

harpscardiff

Validation Question....Can this be done?

I got a basic spreadsheet, with validations. There is a cloumn with the
validation list, listing all common IT problems we experience -
Hardware, PC, Mice, Keyboard, printers.

I want an option at the bottom "Add New", once clicked it will allow
you to enter a new entry in the validation list.

Any ideas how I would do this?

Cheers
Harps

--
harpscardiff
harpscardiff's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=25960

Bob Phillips

Validation Question....Can this be done?

Create a range with those items, say M1:Mn.

then add a dynamic range, InsertNameDefine Name with a name of say
ITProblems and a RefersTo value of

=OFFSET($M$1,,,COUNTA($M:$M),1)

then just use =ITProblems in the Data Validation List textbox.

You button should just add the value to the bottom of the range.

--
HTH

Bob Phillips

"harpscardiff"
wrote in message

I got a basic spreadsheet, with validations. There is a cloumn with the
validation list, listing all common IT problems we experience -
Hardware, PC, Mice, Keyboard, printers.

I want an option at the bottom "Add New", once clicked it will allow
you to enter a new entry in the validation list.

Any ideas how I would do this?

Cheers
Harps

--
harpscardiff
harpscardiff's Profile:

View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=500111

harpscardiff

Validation Question....Can this be done?

thanks for your reply - got most of your instructions, wasn't sure about
the button?? I dont have a button, I was hoping, in the validation list,
if i an option "add new", a prompt box could come up, you type it in and
then it adds it into the list?