-   -   Auto-filter option (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/64183-auto-filter-option.html)

Raj Mazumdar

Auto-filter option

Hi there... have a concept question... What is it meant when it is said that
the Auto-filter works for only the top 1000 entries? Does it mean:
a) The auto-filter works in only the top 1000 rows of records. So if I have
a record that doesn't occur in the top 1000 but occurs in the 1500th row say,
then that record won't be shown on the drop-down auto-filter.
....OR...
b) The autofilter shows only the top 1000 rows when there is an occurence of
a particular record in more than 1000 rows.

Please clarify... thanks

Dave Peterson

Auto-filter option

Autofilter works for all entries.

But it only shows 1000 unique entries in that dropdown list. You can still use
Custom and do a bit of typing to see what you want.

Debra Dalgleish offers some other work-arounds at:
http://contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

--

Dave Peterson

Ron Coderre

Auto-filter option

The Excel autofilter dropdown list in the column headings will only display
up to 1000 unique items. All the data records will stil be displayed. There
are workarounds...but that's the basic limitation.

Does that help?

***********
Regards,
Ron

XL2002, WinXP-Pro

"Raj Mazumdar" wrote:

Hi there... have a concept question... What is it meant when it is said that
the Auto-filter works for only the top 1000 entries? Does it mean:
a) The auto-filter works in only the top 1000 rows of records. So if I have
a record that doesn't occur in the top 1000 but occurs in the 1500th row say,
then that record won't be shown on the drop-down auto-filter.
...OR...
b) The autofilter shows only the top 1000 rows when there is an occurence of
a particular record in more than 1000 rows.

Please clarify... thanks

Ron de Bruin

Auto-filter option

Hi Ray

You can find information here
http://www.contextures.com/xlautofilter02.html#Limits

--
Regards Ron de Bruin
http://www.rondebruin.nl

"Raj Mazumdar" wrote in message ...
Hi there... have a concept question... What is it meant when it is said that
the Auto-filter works for only the top 1000 entries? Does it mean:
a) The auto-filter works in only the top 1000 rows of records. So if I have
a record that doesn't occur in the top 1000 but occurs in the 1500th row say,
then that record won't be shown on the drop-down auto-filter.
...OR...
b) The autofilter shows only the top 1000 rows when there is an occurence of
a particular record in more than 1000 rows.

Please clarify... thanks

Raj Mazumdar

Auto-filter option

so, it's the first 1000 unique entries or 1000 unique entries selected at
random? Thanks guys!

Raj Mazumdar wrote:

Hi there... have a concept question... What is it meant when it is said that
the Auto-filter works for only the top 1000 entries? Does it mean:
a) The auto-filter works in only the top 1000 rows of records. So if I have
a record that doesn't occur in the top 1000 but occurs in the 1500th row say,
then that record won't be shown on the drop-down auto-filter.
...OR...
b) The autofilter shows only the top 1000 rows when there is an occurence of
a particular record in more than 1000 rows.

Please clarify... thanks

--

Dave Peterson

Dave Peterson

Auto-filter option

It looks to me to be the first 1000 unique values. But do a little
experimentation and you'll see how it works.