-   -   Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63643-thanks-everybody-help-how-delite-part-entry-col.html)

usmleboy

Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col

Hi there again.
Thank you guys for very helpful information.

I am continuing my work with a prospective clinical study for my project.
You taught me how to add text to the existing records. Would you mind to help
me with several tips on deleting small parts existing text in the column?

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ-P
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR-T

I want to delete "P" and "T" for all samples in the Code column. The
expecting result should look like this:

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR

Thanks a lot!!!
Daniel

Ken Johnson

Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col

Hi usmleboy,
If D2 shows 10SJ-P and E2 has =LEFT(D2,LEN(D2)-2) then in E2 you should
see 10SJ, (provided Column E is not formatted as Text).
You could then double click the fill handle, which is a fine cross that
only appears when the fat cross cursor is positioned over the bottom
right corner of the selected cell, then the formula in E2 is filled
down to the bottom of your data. You could then copy column E and
editpaste specialpaste values over the old values in column D.
Ken Johnson

Jonathan Cooper

Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col

Assuming your text is in column 1, use the following formula in a helper
column.

=LEFT(A1,FIND("-",A1)-1)

"usmleboy" wrote:

Hi there again.
Thank you guys for very helpful information.

I am continuing my work with a prospective clinical study for my project.
You taught me how to add text to the existing records. Would you mind to help
me with several tips on deleting small parts existing text in the column?

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ-P
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR-T

I want to delete "P" and "T" for all samples in the Code column. The
expecting result should look like this:

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR

Thanks a lot!!!
Daniel

Bob Phillips

Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col

Just add a column and a formula of

=LEFT(D2,FIND("-",D2)-1)

and copy down.

Copy that column, then EditPastespecialValues, the delete the old column.

--

HTH

RP

"usmleboy" wrote in message
Hi there again.
Thank you guys for very helpful information.

I am continuing my work with a prospective clinical study for my project.
You taught me how to add text to the existing records. Would you mind to

help
me with several tips on deleting small parts existing text in the column?

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ-P
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR-T

I want to delete "P" and "T" for all samples in the Code column. The
expecting result should look like this:

Ex:
ID Patient Tissue type Code
10 Snow, John Plasma 10SJ
11 George, Roy T-cells 11GR

Thanks a lot!!!
Daniel

raf

Thanks everybody for help! How to delite a part of entry for a col

Daniel,
click the edit menu, find type "10SJ-P" search by column, click replace type
"10SJ", click find next, click replace or replace all.
Hope this helps.