-   -   Copying Part of a row down part of a column (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63632-copying-part-row-down-part-column.html)

Not Excelling

Copying Part of a row down part of a column

Hi,

My problem is this. I have a specific row of data that I need to
copy part of down a column, until the next row of data.

The data is in a format 12345 abcd efgh ijkl

I only need to copy the numeric portion (12345) down the column, until
the next row I need to copy (same format) shows up. What's the
best/quickest way to do this. It's like an =IF function, but I'm not
sure of the syntax.

Thanks

pinmaster

Copying Part of a row down part of a column

Try this:
assuming your column A is the column with your data with blank rows in
between and column B is where you want the results then.

=IF(A2<"",LEFT(A2,FIND(" ",A2)-1),B1)
start this formula in the same row as your first bit of data and copy
down.

HTH
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Kleev

Copying Part of a row down part of a column

This is copied from someone else's post (from quite a while ago.) I don't
have their name so I can't give proper credit:

Select column A. Hit F5. Click on Special. Click on Blanks, then OK.
Type = and then hit Up Arrow. Hold Control Key and hit Enter.

"Not Excelling" wrote:

Hi,

My problem is this. I have a specific row of data that I need to
copy part of down a column, until the next row of data.

The data is in a format 12345 abcd efgh ijkl

I only need to copy the numeric portion (12345) down the column, until
the next row I need to copy (same format) shows up. What's the
best/quickest way to do this. It's like an =IF function, but I'm not
sure of the syntax.

Thanks

Not Excelling

Copying Part of a row down part of a column

Thanks to everyone who responded. What I found that works is using the
=MID function. This did exactly what I needed.