-   -   Changing date formats? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63534-changing-date-formats.html)

lakegoddess

Changing date formats?

I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probably
fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In one
column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a date
format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:

Original: 20060105
New: 1/5/2006

I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long.
I tried format cells and it didn't work.

However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, and
day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there a
small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year)
and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?

Please help ASAP!!!!

--
lakegoddess
lakegoddess's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=18646

Jim Rech

Changing date formats?

You might try selecting the range of data and run this:

Sub a()
Dim Cell As Range
For Each Cell In Selection
Cell.Value = Left(Cell.Value, 4) & "/" & _
Mid(Cell.Value, 5, 2) & "/" & _
Right(Cell.Value, 2)
Next

Jim
"lakegoddess"
wrote in message

| I'm pretty sure this can be done but if I tried on my own, I'll probably
| fail or do a lot more than I need to... so here's my problem. In one
| column, I have data (about 10,000 rows or more) in terms of a date
| format, BUT it's not really the format I want. How do I go from:
|
| Original: 20060105
| New: 1/5/2006
|
| I don't want to manually change each record because it'll be too long.
| I tried format cells and it didn't work.
|
| However, I noticed that if I put a "/" between the year, month, and
| day, like so: 2006/01/05, it automatically becomes 1/5/2006. Is there a
| small command/program that can insert a "/" after the 4th digit (year)
| and the 6th digit (month) so it can become 1/5/2006?
|
| Please help ASAP!!!!
|

| --
| lakegoddess
| lakegoddess's Profile:
| View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=498746

Peo Sjoblom

Changing date formats?

select the column, do datatext to columns, click next twice and under
column data format select date and from dropdown select YMD
click finsih. Done!

Peo Sjoblom

"lakegoddess"
wrote in message

[...]

Vijay

Changing date formats?

For the cell you want the format changed, add a corresponding formula

=VALUE(MID(G15,1,4)&"/"&MID(G15,5,2)&"/"&MID(G15,7,2))

For the cell with the formula, set a format as described below...

Right click and select the FORMAT option.

On the number tab, select "Custom" and key in "m/d/yyyy".

Click ok. The format should be changed.

"lakegoddess" wrote:

[...]

ERR229

Changing date formats?

Hi,

There may well be a VBA solution, but if no one gets back to you with that,
here's a work around that will at least get you what you need.

Assuming that your data starts in A5, enter this formula in a blank column,
copy it down the 10000 rows, then copy and paste special as values over the
origianl data.

=(CONCATENATE(LEFT(A5,4),"/",MID(A5,5,2),"/",RIGHT(A5,2)))*1

-- ERR229

"lakegoddess" wrote:

[...]

Wow, thanks guys! I used Peo Sjoblom's idea (short and simple) but I'm
sure everything else works like magic too! Thanks so much!!!