-   -   Rationalising grid references (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63518-rationalising-grid-references.html)

Reducto

Rationalising grid references

In an Excel spreadsheet I have 200,000 (two hundred thousand) Ordnance Survey
(UK) grid references in the format AB1234567890 (ie a 10-figure reference). I
need to reduce these to a two-figure reference (ie AB16). Is there a way of
doing this other than manually?

RagDyeR

Rationalising grid references

With reference in A1,
Try this in B1:

=LEFT(A1,4)

And copy down as needed.
--

HTH,

RD

"Reducto" wrote in message
In an Excel spreadsheet I have 200,000 (two hundred thousand) Ordnance
Survey
(UK) grid references in the format AB1234567890 (ie a 10-figure reference).
need to reduce these to a two-figure reference (ie AB16). Is there a way of
doing this other than manually?

Reducto

Rationalising grid references

Thanks, and I see where you are coming from, but I specifically need to
produce the two letters followed by the 1st and 6th figure. ie for the
reference "XY0987654321" I need to produce the result "XY05"

"RagDyeR" wrote:

With reference in A1,
Try this in B1:

=LEFT(A1,4)

And copy down as needed.
--

HTH,

RD

"Reducto" wrote in message
In an Excel spreadsheet I have 200,000 (two hundred thousand) Ordnance
Survey
(UK) grid references in the format AB1234567890 (ie a 10-figure reference).
need to reduce these to a two-figure reference (ie AB16). Is there a way of
doing this other than manually?

RagDyeR

Rationalising grid references

Then try this:

=LEFT(A1,3)&MID(A1,8,1)
--

HTH,

RD

"Reducto" wrote in message
Thanks, and I see where you are coming from, but I specifically need to
produce the two letters followed by the 1st and 6th figure. ie for the
reference "XY0987654321" I need to produce the result "XY05"

"RagDyeR" wrote:

With reference in A1,
Try this in B1:

=LEFT(A1,4)

And copy down as needed.
--

HTH,

RD

"Reducto" wrote in message
In an Excel spreadsheet I have 200,000 (two hundred thousand) Ordnance
Survey
(UK) grid references in the format AB1234567890 (ie a 10-figure

reference).
need to reduce these to a two-figure reference (ie AB16). Is there a way

of
doing this other than manually?

Reducto

Rationalising grid references

When they erect statues for helpful people you will be on the first plinth.
Many thanks.

"RagDyeR" wrote:

Then try this:

=LEFT(A1,3)&MID(A1,8,1)
--

HTH,

RD

"Reducto" wrote in message
Thanks, and I see where you are coming from, but I specifically need to
produce the two letters followed by the 1st and 6th figure. ie for the
reference "XY0987654321" I need to produce the result "XY05"

"RagDyeR" wrote:

With reference in A1,
Try this in B1:

=LEFT(A1,4)