-   -   How to maintain text characters when converting from xls to dbf f. (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63129-how-maintain-text-characters-when-converting-xls-dbf-f.html)

Nombo

How to maintain text characters when converting from xls to dbf f.

I am trying to save an xls (97-2002) file as a DBF IV format in order to use
it in ArcGIS. The dbf format trucates my text (in addition to the column
heading) and converts the cell text format into a number format. Is there
any way around this? Is there a maximum character length for DBF cells?

Cindy Winegarden

How to maintain text characters when converting from xls to dbf f.

Hi Nombo,

I'm used to working with FoxPro DBFs which have a limit of 256 characters in
a Character field (for longer strings use a Memo field) and a limit of 10
characters for field names. Maybe DBF IV is the same.

www.cindywinegarden.com