-   -   Split Text (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/63125-split-text.html)

Gabe

Split Text

I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the TEXT To
COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of the
value.

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (please,help)

How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

RagDyer

Split Text

Try these text formulas:

In B1,
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

In C1,
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1))

--
HTH,

RD

"Gabe" wrote in message
I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the TEXT

COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of the
value.

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (please,help)

How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Bob Phillips

Split Text

Change column A to values first

Select column A, then Copy
EditPastespecialValues

--

HTH

RP

"Gabe" wrote in message
I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the TEXT

COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of the
value.

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (please,help)

How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

Gabe

Split Text

That worked pretty good, but now my format is messed up? I'm looking to
prefix the result with an "E" how would I do that? Before I just used a
custom format of "E"#### that worked pretty good but when I use the formula
it doesn't work. How can prefix it with an "E" for the following?

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (GE00205189)
B1 =RIGHT(A1,4)
B1 displays the value (5189)

Thanks.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try these text formulas:

In B1,
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

In C1,
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1))

--
HTH,

RD

"Gabe" wrote in message
I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the TEXT

COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of the
value.

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (please,help)

How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

RagDyer

Split Text

="E"&LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

="E"&RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1))

--
HTH,

RD

"Gabe" wrote in message
That worked pretty good, but now my format is messed up? I'm looking to
prefix the result with an "E" how would I do that? Before I just used a
custom format of "E"#### that worked pretty good but when I use the

formula
it doesn't work. How can prefix it with an "E" for the following?

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (GE00205189)
B1 =RIGHT(A1,4)
B1 displays the value (5189)

Thanks.

"RagDyer" wrote:

Try these text formulas:

In B1,
=LEFT(A1,FIND(",",A1)-1)

In C1,
=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(",",A1))

--
HTH,

RD

"Gabe" wrote in message
I am trying to split data from one cell to another, I tried using the

TEXT
COLUMNS wizard but it wants to split the cell as a formula instead of

the
value.

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (please,help)

How can I split the value of A1 into A2 and A3?

Any help is greatly appriciated. Thanks.

pinmaster

Split Text

="E"&RIGHT(A1,4)

Regards
JG

--
pinmaster
pinmaster's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=6261

Sloth

Split Text

The cell currently outputs a text string that looks like a number, so it is
formatted as text (a format like "E"#### applys only to numbers).

You have three options.

I. Change the formula to output a number.
=VALUE(RIGHT(A1,4))
and use the same custom number format of
"E"####

II. Leave the formula alone
=RIGHT(A1,4)
and change the format to something like
#;-#;0;"E"@

II. Change the formula to output a text string that includes "E".
="E"&RIGHT(A1,4)
and format as
general

"Gabe" wrote:

That worked pretty good, but now my format is messed up? I'm looking to
prefix the result with an "E" how would I do that? Before I just used a
custom format of "E"#### that worked pretty good but when I use the formula
it doesn't work. How can prefix it with an "E" for the following?

A1 =Sheet1!A1
A1 displays the value (GE00205189)
B1 =RIGHT(A1,4)
B1 displays the value (5189)