-   -   Inserting lists from a drop down menu???? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/62270-inserting-lists-drop-down-menu.html)

Jim Johnson

Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

I am trying to build a spreadsheet where I can insert the parts list for
various assemblies based a single part number that represents that
assembly. I would like to do this using a drop down pick list if
possible. I do not know VB(probably should though) so can anyone offer
some help for this.

--
Jim Johnson
Jim Johnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=300

Michael

Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

Hi Jim. The attached site about Dynamic Drop Down lists may help.
http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html
--
Sincerely, Michael Colvin

"Jim Johnson" wrote:

I am trying to build a spreadsheet where I can insert the parts list for
various assemblies based a single part number that represents that
assembly. I would like to do this using a drop down pick list if
possible. I do not know VB(probably should though) so can anyone offer
some help for this.

--
Jim Johnson
Jim Johnson's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...nfo&userid=300
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=496687

pinmaster

Inserting lists from a drop down menu????

How about this:
In an out of the way of your workbook, create a table with all your
part number in one row and under each part number fill down your
individual list.
Next select a cell to put your part numbers list in, say A1, goto
Data/Validation select "list" in the Allow menu and in the formula box
below type = and the location of your part numbers range. Next put this
formula in another cell and copy down:
=HLOOKUP($A$1,your_table,ROW(2:2),0)
you could also give your table a name for ease of use...say table1 and
then use:
=HLOOKUP($A$1,table1,ROW(2:2),0)

HTH
JG