-   -   Changing to date format (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/62148-changing-date-format.html)

Peretz Stern

Changing to date format

I have a sheet that has many rows with a date that looks like a text format.
If I right click on the cell I can check it to a number and then to an
mm/dd/yyyy. My question is can I change all the rows to this format is one
shot. I tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but that
didn't work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

Thanks,

Bernard Liengme

Changing to date format

I do not understand the first part of message, but
My question is can I change all the rows to this format is one shot. I
tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but that didn't
work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

is readily answered:
Let you data be in A1:A100
If need be, insert a new column B (we can remove it later)
In B1 use =DATE(YEAR(RIGHT(A1,4)),MONTH(MID(A1,3,2)),LEFT(A1 ,2))
Format date to show as required
Copy down to B100 by double clicking B1's fill handle (little solid square
in lower right corner)
Now to tidy up:
Select B1:B100 and copy; without moving the selection use Edit| Paste
Special- Values to convert formulas to date values
Now you can delete column A or copy B1:B100 to A1:A100 and delete column B
best wishes

Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Peretz Stern" wrote in message
I have a sheet that has many rows with a date that looks like a text
format. If I right click on the cell I can check it to a number and then to
an mm/dd/yyyy. My question is can I change all the rows to this format is
one shot. I tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but
that didn't work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

Thanks,

Bernard Liengme

Changing to date format

See my answer in microsoft.public.excel.
Please do not multi-post; most of us read all the Excel groups
--
Bernard V Liengme
www.stfx.ca/people/bliengme
remove caps from email

"Peretz Stern" wrote in message
I have a sheet that has many rows with a date that looks like a text
format. If I right click on the cell I can check it to a number and then to
an mm/dd/yyyy. My question is can I change all the rows to this format is
one shot. I tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but
that didn't work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

Thanks,

Dave Peterson

Changing to date format

If the data is in a single column, you can use:

Select the column/range
Data|text to column
fixed width (but remove any lines and don't add any more)
choose mdy as the field format

Tnen format that range the way you like (mm/dd/yyyy).

Peretz Stern wrote:

I have a sheet that has many rows with a date that looks like a text format.
If I right click on the cell I can check it to a number and then to an
mm/dd/yyyy. My question is can I change all the rows to this format is one
shot. I tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but that
didn't work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

Thanks,

--

Dave Peterson

RagDyer

Changing to date format

If you truly have your present data as mmddyyy,
including the leading zeroes, you could try TTC.

Select the column of text dates, then:

<Data <Text To Columns <Next <Next
Under "Column Data Format", click on "Date",
And make sure "MDY" shows in the window.

Then <Finish.

This changes the column to true XL dates, where you can now simply format
the column to whatever date display you wish.
--
HTH,

RD

"Peretz Stern" wrote in message
I have a sheet that has many rows with a date that looks like a text

format.
If I right click on the cell I can check it to a number and then to an
mm/dd/yyyy. My question is can I change all the rows to this format is one
shot. I tried to choose the whole column and do a change format but that
didn't work. How would I go about changing mmddyyyy to mm/dd/yyyy?

Thanks,

Peretz Stern

Changing to date format

Thanks! it worked like a charm.

[...]