-   -   Logic formula using Time (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/61645-logic-formula-using-time.html)

rkemper

Logic formula using Time

I am trying to write a formula that compares a variable time to a fixed time.
If the variable is greater than the fixed, I assign it the value "1" and if
it is less than, I assign in the value "0".

The formula I'm trying to use is: =IF(A1A2,1,0) where A1 is the variable
time.

The problem I have is that the fixed time is 12:00 AM, so Excel is reading
all variable times as GREATER than and assigning a "1".

How can I write the formula so that 11:50 PM (the previous calendar day)
will read as LESS THAN the fixed 12:00 AM (the following calendar day)?

--
Thanks!

RKEMPER

Dave O

Logic formula using Time

Use Excel "serial dates" and format them to show time.

Excel uses a date scheme called serial dates, in which a day is an
integer number and a time is a fractional part of a day. Right now the
time is 12/22/2005 15:58 in my time zone; the serial date equivalent of
that is 38708.66530. Test this by entering =NOW() into any cell of
your spreadsheet, then format that cell to view as a number with a few
decimal places.

If you set up your dates using serial dates, your formula will work
properly.

RagDyer

Logic formula using Time

Use dates and custom format the cells to show only the time.
Enter:
..12/22/05 12:00 a

And format:
hh:mm
--
HTH,

RD

"rkemper" wrote in message
I am trying to write a formula that compares a variable time to a fixed

time.
If the variable is greater than the fixed, I assign it the value "1" and

if
it is less than, I assign in the value "0".

The formula I'm trying to use is: =IF(A1A2,1,0) where A1 is the

variable
time.

The problem I have is that the fixed time is 12:00 AM, so Excel is reading
all variable times as GREATER than and assigning a "1".

How can I write the formula so that 11:50 PM (the previous calendar day)
will read as LESS THAN the fixed 12:00 AM (the following calendar day)?

--
Thanks!

RKEMPER

rkemper

Logic formula using Time

Thanks. That worked!
--
Thanks!

RKEMPER

"rkemper" wrote in message
I am trying to write a formula that compares a variable time to a fixed

time.
If the variable is greater than the fixed, I assign it the value "1" and

if
it is less than, I assign in the value "0".

The formula I'm trying to use is: =IF(A1A2,1,0) where A1 is the

variable
time.

The problem I have is that the fixed time is 12:00 AM, so Excel is reading
all variable times as GREATER than and assigning a "1".

How can I write the formula so that 11:50 PM (the previous calendar day)
will read as LESS THAN the fixed 12:00 AM (the following calendar day)?

--
Thanks!

RKEMPER

RagDyer