-   -   Blank spaces (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/61593-blank-spaces.html)

Scurloc

Blank spaces

Hi all,

I have loads of cells in a column with a blank space at the beginning
of the text in each cell.

I would like to get rid of the blank spaces at the beginning of each
cell's text, but without getting rid of the blanks included in the body
of the cells' text.

Anybody knows how I could do this?

Thanks for helping me

--
Scurloc
Scurloc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29854

SteveG

Blank spaces

Use the TRIM function to remove spaces at either end of a text string.
It will not eliminate spaces between words.

Cheers,

Steve

--
SteveG
SteveG's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...fo&userid=7571

David Billigmeier

Blank spaces

You could use =RIGHT(LEN(A1)-1) in a helper column, then drag down to the end
of your data. Then, select this range, copy, and "Paste Special-Values"
into your original column (change the reference of A1 to fit your data)

Dave

"Scurloc" wrote:

Hi all,

I have loads of cells in a column with a blank space at the beginning
of the text in each cell.

I would like to get rid of the blank spaces at the beginning of each
cell's text, but without getting rid of the blanks included in the body
of the cells' text.

Anybody knows how I could do this?

Thanks for helping me

--
Scurloc
Scurloc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29854
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495534

David Billigmeier

Blank spaces

Sorry... Small typo :-)

=RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-1)

Dave

"Scurloc" wrote:

Hi all,

I have loads of cells in a column with a blank space at the beginning
of the text in each cell.

I would like to get rid of the blank spaces at the beginning of each
cell's text, but without getting rid of the blanks included in the body
of the cells' text.

Anybody knows how I could do this?

Thanks for helping me

--
Scurloc
Scurloc's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=29854
View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=495534

David Biddulph

Blank spaces

"SteveG" wrote in
message ...

Use the TRIM function to remove spaces at either end of a text string.
It will not eliminate spaces between words.

.... but it will reduce multiple spaces to a single space.
--
David Biddulph