-   -   Is it possible to use more than 8 arguments in a function? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/61347-possible-use-more-than-8-arguments-function.html)

Breesmom

Is it possible to use more than 8 arguments in a function?

I have a database with over 1,000 rows and 13 columns. One of the column
headings has a listing of about 23 different services. They want to add a
column basically assigning a number to each service....I know I can use the
IF function but apparently only for up to 8 arguments. Does anyone know if
there's a way to add more?? Is there a better formula for this?? Or can I
maybe lump three services???

A quick example of what I'm talking about

Services
NEB
CTH
IV
IV ABT
NEB

Say that's the list. I want to assign NEB's as a 1, IV and IV ABT as a 4.
I know I can use =IF(CELL="NEB",1,(IF(CELL="IV",4,(IF(CELL="IV ABT",4,0)))))
But after a certain amount it tells me there's an error. I will take any
help.

Adam Kroger

Is it possible to use more than 8 arguments in a function?

List your "services together in an unused portion of the workbook and in the
next collumn number (I would then name teh range where they are) them and
use a VLOOKUP

VLOOKUP(CELL,listrange,2,0)