-   -   formula too long error (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/61108-formula-too-long-error.html)

SB

formula too long error

I have a spreadsheet with 50 tabs. I have a sumary tab that I will like to
show running totals, however, when I try to use a formula, i am getting a
"formula too long error". Is there another way for me to have running totals
without getting this error?

Dave Peterson

formula too long error

Say your quantities are in column E of each sheet.

Add a row at the top and put this in E1:
=sum(e2:E65536)
(Use a number that will be larger than your largest list)

Then insert two new worksheets--
one at the far left of the detail sheets and one at the far right of the detail
sheets.

Call the one at the far left: Start
call the one at the far right: Finish

Then move your summary worksheet outside those two "sandwich" sheets.

Put this in any cell you want:
=sum(start:finish!e1)

You'll be able to move any sheet out of the "sandwich" if you want to play what
if games.

--

Dave Peterson

SB