-   -   How do you change the excel number default settings? (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/60659-how-do-you-change-excel-number-default-settings.html)

Garry Siskos

How do you change the excel number default settings?

There is no brackets on my negative numbers in excel. I have gone through
the cell format, custom, accounting, or currency, choices, but none exists.
Can someone advise as to where to set this as a default setting?

Jim Rech

How do you change the excel number default settings?

Go into your Windows Regional Settings and then Customize. On the Currency
tab (not Number) select a Negative Currency format that has parens. Then
restart Excel.

--
Jim
"Garry Siskos" <Garry wrote in message
| There is no brackets on my negative numbers in excel. I have gone through
| the cell format, custom, accounting, or currency, choices, but none
exists.
| Can someone advise as to where to set this as a default setting?

Gord Dibben

How do you change the excel number default settings?

Garry

If negative brackets are not available in the NumberNegative Numbers dialog.

This is a function of your Regional Settings in Windows OS.

StartSettingsControl PanelRegional and Language SettingsRegional
OptionsCustomizeCurrencyNegative Currency Format. Click on drop-down arrow
and select the ($1.1)

Note: this is under the "Currency" tab in Regional Options. Changing under
the "Numbers" tab only does not do the trick.

Apply and OKApply your way out.

Gord Dibben Excel MVP