-   -   when opening an excel file, two files open (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/60202-when-opening-excel-file-two-files-open.html)

Brian

when opening an excel file, two files open

When I open up an Excel file from Explorer, two excel documents open up. One
document is called "Book 1" and the other is the actual document that I
intended to open. How do I prevent this from happening?

Gord Dibben

when opening an excel file, two files open

Brian

Same answer I posted Dec 9th. Did it not work for you?

Brian

To prevent Book1 from opening you can append /e to your shortcut for opening
Excel.

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e

Alternative to the above............

Go to StartSettingsFolderOptionsFile Types. Scroll down to MS Excel
Worksheet. Then if running Win98 OS Edit select "Open" and Edit.

If using WinXP OS you would scroll down to .XLS then "Advanced"OpenEdit.

In Command line the path should be similar to this....

"C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT OFFICE\OFFICE\EXCEL.EXE" /e.

You must have the double quotes.

Below have "use DDE" checked and this in the DDE message box....[open("%1")]

Application should read "Excel"(no quotes)

Gord Dibben Excel MVP