-   -   works database - converting (https://www.excelbanter.com/excel-discussion-misc-queries/60135-works-database-converting.html)

elwjr

works database - converting

I've got old works database files (.wdb) on backup disk that I would like to
import/convert into Excel 2000. Newer computer, old works program not loaded
on this machine. So, I can't do as Microsoft suggests and open in works and
saveas dbase file. Please advise. Thanks in advance!

Dave O

works database - converting

Sometimes you can get lucky and just change the file extension to
something the software will recognize. This is dicey, and may or may
not work. Step 1 is to try this only on a *backup* copy of the file,
so no data is lost in the event of an irrecoverable error. Step 2 is
to change the .wdb file extension to .mdb (MS Access) or .dbf (dBase
database file). Good luck with it!